- vCenter won't install on the Web Edition.
- You can install SQL2008 on 2008 R2, just have to disable all services until SP1 has been applied.
- When creating the ODBC connections, use "%systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64\Odbcad32.exe" and not the ODBC from Administrative Tools section.
BEFORE, installing vCenter Server, do:
1. Start -> Administrative Tools -> Server Manager.
2. From the left pane, select “Features”
3. On the right hand pane, click “Add Features”
4. Expand .NET Framework 3.5.1 Features
5. Select only .NET Framework 3.5.1 (do not select WCF Activation as it will install IIS which conflicts with Apache Tomcat, which of course vCenter will install).
vCenter Server should now install without any issues.